Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, July 19, 2009

    The Creative Mind with Songwriting

    What does it mean to Create? I find enormous fulfilment in being able to create new and interesting ideas. I feel the difference so definitively between my Creative side and the Analytical side of my thought process. There are not many things I love to do than write music.How it works for me.I like to write in alot of different ways using different techniques. Depending how I use them gives different results. My favorite at the moment is to try to totally complete the piece in my head, before I pick up a tool, instrument or computer. I find it easier to write orchestrated pieces like this, but of late I have been writing more contemporary band style, Rock songs using this method. I start with the drums and basiclly set the rhythm. Next I layer sounds over the top in my mind. I don't like to assign instruments yet, I try and feel the melody and how it winds through chords and the emotion it creates. This is the important part for me because its still in maluble form, I can take parts and imagine what they would sound like in different orders. Once it builds to the point where I can feel the flow and groove I start to break the parts up and assign instruments to them.Finally by the time I get to this point I normally pick up my guitar and start to work out what I have in my head.I find the more I complete in my mind, the quicker it is to write. I find I get better symmetry and a better balance with the music.This is not something I have always been able to do. This is somewhere that I have grown to.Take the time to invest these skill in yourself. Find sometime each day to practise holding these in your mind. Dont think theory, think like you dream. Open your mind and alow ideas to flow freely in and out. Practise is so important here like anywhere.Let me know your ideas here. please leave me a comment with your experiences and let me know if you find this works for you.Feel free to ask any questions you like and I will be happy to help.CheersDarrenI love the Creative process, it's a great mental exercise.

    1 comment:

     
    Blog Directory blogarama.com